Tuesday, August 16, 2011

music game

I promise to try not make this about every interesting thought I have, but I think this is worth sharing. It came out of thinking of a conversation I had with the amazing pianist Taylor Eigsti about a piece of art to combine equal parts music and video game, and thinking about an article by jazz teacher and games journalist Kirk Hamilton, that brought up the idea of rhythms in games. Anyways, the idea would be to make the game equivalent of a music video. It would be based off of and derive feeling from a specific song, and the goal would be to embody the feeling of the song in every aspect of the game, while having mechanics focused on getting the player to play in rhythm with the song. I know connections from games to film can be a bit overworked at times, but it would be cool to see someone explore this idea.

16 comments:

  1. Taylor Eigsti is in fact an amazing pianist. My father showed me his music as i got older; thanks for the good memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool concept, a pop-esque song would usually play out fast while a sad song would go reallll slowww, would make for some interesting levels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, music/game hybrids are popular but hard to pull off, so far there are only two i can think of, beat hazard and audiosurf. I wish you all the best sire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good idea man. I've never heard of that artist before, but I'm really liking what I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an idea! You should deffinately put this idea out to the right people, see where it goes. I hope you can get it out there(Y) great blog btw

    ReplyDelete
  7. Music games need to have captivating gameplay, and not like just watching a music video to do well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound like a good concept, and I have seen some good music games, seen some bad ones too. One good one I remember is where it played the song, and the level was basically the song. It sounds like a pretty piss-poor description but it was a good game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the overall idea. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm I wonder how this would work...

    ReplyDelete