Sunday, August 21, 2011

New instruments

This very well may be the first post of this blog true to its name. I was walking home yesterday with a newly acquired ukulele, and I was thinking about how many instruments I played. Three weeks ago that would have been just piano and melodica (although not everyone would count that as a second instrument). Starting three weeks ago I've added guitar, voice, and most recently the ukulele (which is a lot of fun, I definitely recommend getting one), so by the most generous count I'm up to five instruments. The odd thing I've found is with all these instruments I end up practicing all of them more, because by switching between instruments I can play for much longer without getting tired of it. Anyways, point of all this is I'm really excited about how much fun learning new instrument is, how getting through the initial suck of not being able to play anything decent sounding is much easier than I thought it would be, and most of all I'm excited to see how many instruments this trend keeps up for.

5 comments:

  1. I took guitar lessons for two years and all they taught me is that I'm pretty shit at the guitar. Most people view the ukulele as a "comedy" instrument but I've heard some amazing things come from one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trying to learn guitar too but my fingers are too short so still a noob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't play any instruments, but I support this! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah learning new intruments can be alot of fun.. if you can keep yourself from getting fustrated and throwing your saxophone or whatever threw a wall :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took piano lessons when i was a kid. But i had a bad teacher who really destroyed the fun of learning a new instrument.

    ReplyDelete